Monday, November 17, 2008

Birthday Celebration

It was my Iranian friend's birthday last Monday, and I was able to take him out to lunch for a little celebration. As you can imagine, birthdays are a little bit tough when you are 10,000 miles from home. People from Iran celebrate birthdays very much like birthdays are celebrated here with cake and candles, a little party, a picture, and often going out to eat. I tried to make him feel welcome and loved by making some of that happen. 

We had a great time, and I even tried to give him a little taste of Texas by taking him to our local Dickey's BBQ. We didn't venture to eat any of the pork, of course, and we had a great time with some store bought cupcakes and a birthday candle. I'll include a picture. 

Afterward, I got to share with him why I was doing this, saying that Jesus tells us to love others like we love ourselves. What a blessing to be able to be involved in this ministry to Muslim students. Thank you for your prayers and support. 

3 comments:

Jan Fanning said...

Great post! Fun to see the picture and to get to hear about that special celebration.

Todd said...

So proud of you Joe!!! It's exciting to hear the news. By the Way, you are the best self picture taker ever.

Jason Seville said...

Joe - Glad to see you blogging. Keep up the good work in the DC area.

I talked to your dad briefly at ETS. Hope you guys have a good time hanging out over Thanksgiving.